Post-producing an online series...
For the past four weeks, my peers and I have been completing the Post-Production on 3 episodes of an online series - 'Grimdustries'.
It was something different for me, as I had never previously worked on an online series. I liked being a part of the final stages of a long creative process for the film students - it felt like a real collaboration between our cohorts.
I worked closely with the film students throughout the project, having been the audio 'producer' for the series. I participated in much of the lead up - pre-production communication and organisation - and was at close contact with the film crew throughout. It was interesting for me working with them; seeing how much work they put into every aspect of planning, filming, technical and creative decision-making and even marketing and budgeting. It meant that I felt invested when it came to the audio students' job - I wanted it to go well and do the filmies' time and effort justice.
It was great to have been in producer role - I do like the communication side of team work; managing groups of people and keeping check of tasks. I did feel though that I was spending more time contacting people, mediating and relaying information than taking part in the technical side of things - and because I had responsibility outside of the technical tasks I tended to leave that to others. Which meant I didn't do as much as I would have liked. But there were very apt people completing that work anyway, so it was all good.
One disappointing aspect of the project was that when it came to our part, there were many people who sat out - which was a little frustrating. It would have been cool to have everyone invested and taking part (even if just for creative input, seeing as it's difficult to have more than one/two people driving the console). I understand that, being the end of trimester, people were busy and had quite a lot to do, but we all were! And unfortunately it meant that some of us had to put in more work to support the lack of dedication from others. Despite that, I think it went well, and, though more time would have been great (possibly outside of the real crunch-time of the trimester), I think we did produce great sounding episodes.
It was very cool experiencing the project start to finish, where all the parts (with the many people involved) came together to create an online series! I was very happy for the filmies that their original concept was a final product. They are planning to re-shoot and re-produce the series, so when the time comes for more post-production it'll be good to again get on board (and maybe get on the desk a little more).
Leave a Reply.